Current:Home > InvestPoinbank:An ex-Kansas police chief who led a raid on a newspaper is charged with obstruction of justice -Wealth Evolution Experts
Poinbank:An ex-Kansas police chief who led a raid on a newspaper is charged with obstruction of justice
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 18:59:41
TOPEKA,Poinbank Kan. (AP) — A former central Kansas police chief who led a raid last year on a weekly newspaper has been charged with felony obstruction of justice and is accused of persuading a potential witness for an investigation into his conduct of withholding information from authorities.
The single charge against former Marion Police Chief Gideon Cody alleges that he knowingly or intentionally influenced the witness to withhold information on the day of the raid of the Marion County Record and the home of its publisher or sometime within the following six days. The charge was filed Monday in state district court in Marion County and is not more specific about Cody’s alleged conduct.
However, a report from two special prosecutors last week referenced text messages between Cody and the business owner after the raid. The business owner has said that Cody asked her to delete text messages between them, fearing people could get the wrong idea about their relationship, which she said was professional and platonic.
Cody justified the raid by saying he had evidence the newspaper, Publisher Eric Meyer and one of its reporters, Phyllis Zorn, had committed identity theft or other computer crimes in verifying the authenticity of a copy of the business owner’s state driving record provided to the newspaper by an acquaintance. The business owner was seeking Marion City Council approval for a liquor license and the record showed that she potentially had driven without a valid license for years. However, she later had her license reinstated.
The prosecutors’ report concluded that no crime was committed by Meyer, Zorn or the newspaper and that Cody reached an erroneous conclusion about their conduct because of a poor investigation. The charge was filed by one of the special prosecutors, Barry Wilkerson, the top prosecutor in Riley County in northeastern Kansas.
The Associated Press left a message seeking comment at a possible cellphone number for Cody, and it was not immediately returned Tuesday. Attorneys representing Cody in a federal lawsuit over the raid are not representing him in the criminal case and did not immediately know who was representing him.
Police body-camera footage of the August 2023 raid on the publisher’s home shows his 98-year-old mother, Joan Meyer, visibly upset and telling officers, “Get out of my house!” She co-owned the paper, lived with her son and died of a heart attack the next afternoon.
The prosecutors said they could not charge Cody or other officers involved in the raid over her death because there was no evidence they believed the raid posed a risk to her life. Eric Meyer has blamed the stress of the raid for her death.
veryGood! (47161)
Related
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson bemoans 'woke culture,' declines to endorse presidential candidate
- 50 positive life quotes to inspire, and lift your spirit each day
- Lauren Graham Reveals Matthew Perry's Final Birthday Gift to Her
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Story finished: Cody Rhodes wins Undisputed WWE Universal Championship
- Will China flood the globe with EVs and green tech? What’s behind the latest US-China trade fight
- Car, pickup truck collide on central Wisconsin highway, killing 5
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- An AP photographer works quickly to land a shot from ringside in Las Vegas
Ranking
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- In second Texas edition, CMT Awards set pays homage to Austin landmark
- What time the 2024 solar eclipse starts, reaches peak totality and ends today
- CMT Awards voting: You can still decide Video of the Year
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Before UConn-Purdue, No. 1 seed matchup in title game has happened six times since 2000
- MLB power rankings: Red Sox come home with best pitching staff in baseball
- Biden to announce new student loan forgiveness proposals
Recommendation
Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
WWE is officially in a new era, and it has its ‘quarterback’: Cody Rhodes
Deion Sanders rips Colorado football after professor says players disrespectful in class
Total solar eclipse 2024: Watch livestream of historic eclipse from path of totality
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
Toby Keith honored at 2024 CMT Awards with moving tribute from Sammy Hagar, Lainey Wilson
World War II bunkers built by German army unearthed during nature restoration project in Belgium
Book excerpt: The Wide Wide Sea by Hampton Sides